The 3D Digital Revolution in Apparel, Footwear & Accessories
The apparel, footwear and accessories industry is in the midst of a digital revolution that is
fundamentally redefining the way retailers and brands are discovering, creating, making and
selling products. At the heart of this seismic shift is the adoption of advanced digital capabilities that enable the rapid 3D virtualization of products and experiences, that augment teams with powerful automation and that take advantage of the power of advanced analytics to make more data-rich and insightful product decisions to deliver faster, more efficient, sustainable, and profitable organizations.
2023 Theme: Generative Ai for 3D Product Creation
The 3D Retail Coalition (3D.RC), Kalypso and IEEE have partnered once again to host the 6th Annual Grand Challenge. This year, in response to the emergence, adoption and explosive growth of generative Ai solutions in the market, we are calling for creative research and novel solutions with the potential to transform how retailers and brands discover, create, make, and sell new products by harnessing the dual power of Generative Ai and 3D Product Creation.
This year’s Grand Challenge asks, how might Generative Ai & 3D be used together to transform the way teams…
- discover, explore and experiment with products and experiences
- design, develop and iterate on the creation of products and experiences
- simulate, test and produce products and experiences?
- promote and sell products and experiences
To fully satisfy the brief, entries must:
- include both Generative Ai and 3D capabilities
- support the creation of products and / or experiences
- be directly applicable to the apparel, footwear and accessories industry
- represent clear potential to create value for brands, retailer and / or consumers
- demonstrate a degree of practical feasibility beyond the theoretical
Eligible entrants must be affiliated with an organization categorized either as a start-up or an academic institution, satisfying the respective criteria outlined below:
Start-up Eligibility: A start-up, as defined for the purposes of this contest, denotes a legally registered organization that satisfies the following prerequisites: (1) it employs fewer than 10 full-time personnel, and (2) it serves fewer than 10 active clients in the retail, footwear, and apparel industry.
Academic Institution Eligibility: An academic or research institution, as defined for the purposes of this contest, denotes a legally registered organization that satisfies the following prerequisites: (1) it possesses an educational mission, (2) it holds non-profit status, and (3) it has obtained formal accreditation from a recognized accrediting body or governance agency.
Additional eligibility requirements can be found in the official rules here.
The Submission and Review Process:
The Contest is conducted in two phases as outlined below. Entries received before or after the entry period are void.
Phase 1: Preliminary Round
Entry Period: 6/27-9/29, 2023
Entries Must Include: Uploaded document(s) containing entrant contact information, confirmation of eligibility and responses to the prompt(s) outlined above. In Phase 1 responses should be considered an executive summary and are not to exceed 5 pages. Links to relevant images and multimedia are permitted.
Submission Link: TBD
Phase 2: Semi-finalist Round
Entry Period: 10/16-11/17, 2023
Entries Must Include: Chosen semi-finalists from Phase 1 will be asked to submit additional information for Phase 2 which may include a white paper, research publication, solution schematic, thesis, video, demonstration, or other materials to provide greater detail on the solution / research.
Prize Winner(s) Shall Receive:
- A featured presentation (virtual) to the 3D Retail Coalition (3D.RC) Board of Directors, Committee Teams and Active Members; representing dozens of the world’s most prominent brands
- A marketing and promotional package provided by Grand Challenge Sponsors including:
- IEEE featured blog post and/or e-publication
- Kalypso Viewpoint article and video interview
- Social media posts from IEEE, PI Apparel, and Kalypso
- A complementary events package provided by Marketkey including:
- Two registration passes for one mutually agreed upon 2024 PI Apparel event
- On-stage recognition and promotion during the above 2024 PI Apparel event
- The opportunity to present the winning research or solution during a Spotlight
- Webinar hosted by Marketkey and the 3D.RC
What are you waiting for?