The retail industry is in a phase of rapid transformation: manufacturers are accelerating the growth of their direct-to-consumer businesses; retailers are maturing private brand programs; and consumers expect personalized products and experiences, as well as full transparency to responsible sourcing and sustainable practices.
In the past year, COVID-19 has also exposed the risks of traditional product creation models and long product development cycles.
2021 Theme: 3D Virtualization
Now in its fourth year, this year the competition challenges the academic and research communities to offer up innovations, research and solutions to address these issues while helping build capabilities for the future of retail.
This year, we’re looking for creative research and solutions with the potential to transform the way companies create, make and sell new products by harnessing the power of digital product creation. How can we build and advance an industry-wide capability to develop product virtually and collaboratively, across the product creation lifecycle?
Eligible entries should apply the lens(es) of People, Process and/or Technology-related solutions that address product virtualization within any stage(s) of the create, make and sell lifecycle of product creation, as illustrated in the example below.
Entrants are encouraged to explore the concept of 3D virtualization in the most holistic of terms, including, but not limited to, themes of 3D design, fit & body scanning, avatars, generative design, robotic process automation, rendering & visualization, augmented & virtual reality, and additive manufacturing.
Solutions will be reviewed for their relevance in the categories of:
- Applicability – extent to which the submission applies to areas across the product development lifecycle
- Business Impact – extent to which the submission creates new value for the retail, footwear and apparel industry
- Technology Impact – extent to which the submission delivers improvements on existing and/or new capabilities
- Social Impact – the extent to which the submission addresses social and environmental impacts and implications
How to Enter Round 1 (due by 25 June 2021)
To enter your research or solution in the 2021 3DRC Grand Challenge, please answer the following questions and upload them in a document. Please note the word limits for the questions. You may also upload one image as part of your Round 1 entry. Submit your document and image through this entry form.
Name of company/school/institution:
Individual contact name:
Please answer the following questions and upload them in a document. You can focus on the questions that are most applicable to your research or solution. Please note the word limits for the questions.
- Give us your elevator pitch. Tell us about your research or solution and how it will advance an industry-wide capability to develop product virtually and collaboratively, across the product creation lifecycle. (250 words or less)
- Business Impact – How does your submission create new value for the retail, footwear and apparel industry? (250 words or less)
- Technology Impact – How does your submission deliver improvements on existing and/or new capabilities? (250 words or less)
- Social Impact – How does your submission address social and environmental impacts and implications? (250 words or less)
Submissions that are chosen as semi-finalists from Round 1 will be asked to submit additional information for Round 2, which may include a research publication, solution schematic, white paper, video, thesis or other materials to provide more detail behind your research or solution.
- Entrants must submit Round 1 entries by 25 June, 2021, 11:59pm PST
- Round 1 accepted submissions will be reviewed by judges and narrowed to semi-finalists. Semi-finalists will move forward to Round 2. This enhanced round will require further submission of research details and/or prototypes including features, capabilities and/or solutions.
- Finalists of Round 1 will be notified via email no later than 16 July 2021 and provided specifics on the submission for Round 2
- Entrants must submit Round 2 entries by 4 Oct 2021, 11:59pm PST
- Winners of Round 2 will be notified via email no later than 15 Oct 2021
Awards & Recognition
The winning entry shall receive:
- Multiple exposure points to the entire 3DRC membership of retailers and brands
- Marketing & promotional package to include:
- Recognition via an IEEE sponsored blog and/or e-publication placement
- Published article and video interview by Kalypso
- Social media posts from PI Apparel and Kalypso
- Event participation to include:
- Mention and promotion during PI Apparel NY event in November 2021
- The opportunity to present the winning research or solution on a PI Apparel Webinar. Presentation must occur within a 12-month period from announcement of winner**
- Full details on these prizes are in the rules.